Life at UF


As I wrap up my final semester at the University of Florida, I'm so grateful to the College of Journalism and Communications for giving me an unmatched education as I head into my career in the real world.

During my time at UF, I have gained experience in radio reporting, television reporting, sports reporting, and many other categories. I was also fortunate enough to be a part of a special project called Generation Gunned Down, a television and radio documentary that examines school shootings in the United States from Columbine to Parkland. I traveled to Washington DC during my junior spring break to interview lawmakers to examine possible solutions and changes surrounding school shootings in America. The documentary received a first-place award in the short form student documentary category at the 2020 BEA Festival of Media Arts.

Aside from my work in the classroom and newsroom, I have gained the most experience through my internships that I have held. Due to connections I made through the College of Journalism and Communications, I have had four internships in sports reporting that have given me an extensive amount of experience as I head into post-college life. During these internships, I found myself on the sidelines at Florida Gators' football and basketball games, in press boxes, and interviewing coaches and athletes on a weekly basis. Without UF, I would never have been able to be living my dream before I even graduate. I feel that these experiences have put me above the rest in my job search and provided me with real-world experience that will prepare me for my career.

I was also fortunate enough to be able to travel abroad with the college at the end of my sophomore year. For four weeks, I traveled around Italy and completed coursework in some of the most beautiful places in the world. This was an unforgettable experience that I will cherish forever.

The college also features the Center for Media Innovation and Research. Although I was not directly involved in any of the center's projects during my time at the University of Florida, I have enjoyed exploring the various student projects that have been created.

The University of Florida's College of Journalism and Communications provides a fantastic learning environment and a multitude of resources for anyone looking to get into the media field. As my time comes to an end here, I know there are countless others whose journeys are just beginning. I will never forget the great friends and memories I've made while here and will always utilize the knowledge I've learned to further my career. Although this year's graduation is not what it was supposed to be due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I'm still honored to be graduating from a top-10 public university. It's great to be a Florida Gator.

In all kinds of weather, we'll all stick together.

Comments